This is a guest post by Dipendra Pokharel, a SEO case study about a SEO campaign he did for the website Imgup.io.
From 150 uniques per day to more than 300, the traffic from Google increased more than double for website imgup.io. This happened only two weeks later after we started SEO campaign for imgup.
Actually the main objective for the SEO campaign was to improve the search engine position for the main keyword of the website. By the time we started the campaign, the site ranked 66th for its main keyword and gradually improved to 29th position.
Although the improvement is not enough to get organic visits to the homepage for from the targeted keyword, however the organic visitors started to grow as a results of improvement in the inner pages.
The above image shows a graphical representation of organic visitors from March 15-April 15 as per Google Analytics. As we could see, the traffic has improved from March 30 and has been consistent since. We started the campaign from March 21, and the result has been outstanding and inspiring
What did we do to improve Search Engine Presence ?
We dealt with both on page and off page optimization in order to get the results. Following were the actions that we performed.
Duplicate Content Reduction: This was one of the first thing we took care of. To ensure we had not any duplicate content issues, we performed certain tests and the acted to improve them.
Preferred domain – Google considers www and non www version of the same web page differently. We must ensure that we choose any one of them and make a 301 redirection to the other. This will not only eradicate the duplicate content issue but also pass the link juices if we have any. In imgup’s case, we found out that both www and the non www versions were indexed in google. So we chose the non www version as the preferred domain and made a permanent redirection from non-www to the www.
HTML improvements – Google webmaster displays all the pages that shares duplicate titles and meta descriptions and its improving would help for better rankings. Search for the necessary html improvement suggestions which could be seen under search appearances > HTML improvements in Google webmaster tools.
The website shared similar meta description which was used in the homepage in all internal pages ; this was the major reason for duplicate meta description,so every individual pages needed manual improvements which would take some time. However we started to deal with every pages individually to assign them unique meta descriptions related with the pages..
As we could see, the above screenshot is a updated html improvement pages on the google webmaster from April 13. Within 7 days, the duplicate meta description pages went down from 824 to 219 and duplicate titles went down from 90 to 67 and we are still working on this.
Solving 404 errors – The site had more than 40 404 errors and we accessed everything manually. The errors could be seen under crawl>crawl error in google webmaster account along with number of pages linking to the non-existing pages in our websites. So for the pages that had good link juice and did not exist, we made a 301 permanent redirection to the home page and for remaining, we deindexed them. With 301 redirection, we we fixed the 404 error without wasting out the link juice.
Mobile Friendly – Google has announced the launch of mobile friendly algorithm from April 22 and to avoid any drop in mobile traffic, we ensured that the website was mobile friendly. Although the website was already optimized, we checked to confirm.
Backlinks – Despite of hummingbird, panda, penguin and all other major changes, backlinking still holds a crucial value in search engine rankings, however the practices has changed. There was a time when linking to a single page using keywords in the anchor texts would improve the position, however things have changed.
What we did was we made decent number of backlinks with guest posting, press release submissions, article submissions, web 2.0 links, etc, however there were certain things we were concerned about. We diversified the anchor texts and the linked pages. We made sure that the links did not come only to the home page, as the links were distributed to different internal pages as well. Similarly we did not add keyword targeted anchor texts only. The use of keywords in anchor texts were below 15% and we used brand names(imgup, imgup.io, etc in our cases), and other different diversified anchor texts in order to make links look natural. Backlinks if done properly could be boon to the webmasters, however over optimization could be hazardous.
Search Engine Optimization needs a lot of effort and patience. Although we saw improvements within two weeks, however expecting results overnight could just lead to over expectations and over optimization which could later lead to penalties. ‘Slow and steady wins the race’, even in the case of SEO. You need to choose steady speed instead of a sprint. If you build enormous backlinks for the first five days and then the links stop to come the other day, that would be suspicious to the search engine. You would better work slow but steady and you would certainly benefit in a long run.
Edit: Thanks to NinjaOutreach for featuring this case study on their 126 Must-Read Traffic Generation Case Studies!